Monday, February 04, 2008

magical

This past weekend we took the boys to their very first ever NHL game.

GO HABS GO!!! The cheers started in the car on the way there.

We purchased the tix way back in September (remember this?), the day they went on sale, and sold out. There are so few afternoon games offered (I think this year, three?) and for our guys, really our only option. I can't even tell you who was more excited. The butterflies started in my tummy the night before.

For those of you who *know* me, you have a clear understanding about how much this means to our family. The history, the heritage, the emotions that this hockey organization has brought to our family is immeasurable. (For privacy reasons, I choose not to discuss further, nothing personal, really).

Our seats were as high as you could get, hubby was a little skeptical, but once we settled in, we couldn't have had a better location. We loved it! We were as high 'in the heavens in hockeyland' as one could be, and the tears of joy watching my two little boys at their first Habs game were numerous.
I remember my very first NHL game. It was also an afternoon, exhibition pre-season and we had mid-high seats in the Montreal Forum. A puck came flying outta no where, my Dad caught it LITERALLY inches in front of my face, I still feel the brush of air. He then managed to have it signed by Jean Beliveau. I still have that puck dated, locked away forever, I was not quite 5 years old.
We donned our jerseys, painted faces, hats, and they handed out these cardboard helmet like things that T wore most of the time. We bought t-shirts and hot dogs and chips and ate smuggled snax from my purse, and it's practically oh, so sickenly like one of those "Priceless" Mastercard commercials it makes me want to puke. But I won't do that to you.
Instead, I bring you this photo, which is forever engraved in my brain.


And another good reason being at the top of it all, means there is no one sitting behind you, which means a certain little boy didn't bother anyone as he did this for practically the ENTIRE game:


We had the bestest of times as a family, truly a magical and most memorable day for us all.

P.S. HABS WON!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds awesome - what a great memory!

10:02 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post Nancy!!! I'm so happy you got to have this evening. If no one gets nosebleeds it's all good right! I only wish it was for 5 of you not 4.

I think I'm most thankful for this post so I don't have to look at that damn bat anymore. Freaks.Me.Out.

10:22 AM EST  
Blogger Laurie said...

Most definitely one of those ‘priceless’ family moments that you will always remember!
Big Sister saw her first NHL game a few weeks ago, too, and she loved every minute of it, even though our guys lost :( She’s practically lived in her Sens jersey ever since :)

10:41 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have chills all over again -- soooo very cool!! (Can you believe, I've never been to an NHL game? Shameful, I know.) I also can't believe your dad snatched a flying puck out of the air so it didn't hit you -- that's way wicked cool all on it's own!

So glad it was everything you hoped and more!

5:57 PM EST  
Blogger Marisa said...

I have yet to take my two to their first game. Hoping that when the little miss is 4 we can snag some tickets.

Glad you had a great time. It sucks that you couldn't get a 5th ticket for your dad (if I remember correctly).

And you totally have me intrigued as to your *history* with our beloved Habs.

9:28 AM EST  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Oh Nancy
I got shivers watching that video clip! It was too awesome for them. And safe too. LOL!Too bad Gramps wasn't able to be with you. He would have treasured that moment too.

I remember my FIRST NHL game. I was a hug HABS Fan and my Dad got me and my brother ticktes to see a pre season game at the Civic Center here in Ottawa. It was no less thrilling for me. To see Ken Dryen in Nets and Guy Lafleur race from one end to the other.
My Dream was always to see a game at teh form but alas I never did and now its gone. I really ahve to take Nathan to a game. HE might not like it as much as me but still its' an exeperance.

7:29 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home